Inside The Church
© 2019 Richard J Smith
Like the chancel, the nave was restored in 1855-7 with the lancet windows replacing the old square-headed ones. The new gothic style chancel arch would certainly have displaced the Royal Arms, prominently displayed in most churches from late in the reign of Henry VIII until that time. These were mostly removed from their place over the chancel arch during mid-Victorian restoration. Other local churches still have displaced copies on display but none are to be found at Englefield. Even if any were still in existence in 1884 they may well not have survived the incumbency of the Reverend Arthur Heigham. In about 1867 when Rector at Newport Pagnell he removed the Royal Arms from above the chancel arch because they signified the primacy of state over church but was forced to replace them after a public outcry of disapproval.